Dictionary changes

Hi all,

This is a known problem, but just in case anyone doesn't remember, as
installed, the following symlink:

/usr/share/dict/words -> /etc/dictionaries-common/words

doesn't work, because /etc/dictionaries-common/words doesn't exist upon
installation. The following command (run as root) fixes the problem:

/usr/sbin/update-default-wordlist

Another thing to remember is that the wordlist is no longer ASCII,
which can trip you up in searches if you forget that. For instance, I
have the following shellscript, called dict:

cat /usr/share/dict/words | grep -i "$1"

If you look up ^smor.*rd$, you get nothing. But if you look up ^sm.*rd$
you get smörgåsbord. What I'd like to do is get grep to think "å" is a
hit for "a" and report it, but report it as "å". I'll let you know when
I figure out how to do that, or do some other thing that produces the
same result. Prepending LC_ALL= either C, C.UTF-8, en_US.utf8, or
POSIX, to the grep command, didn't do it either.

If worst comes to worst and I can't find a way to get grep to do this,
I'll just put together a substitution table,
convert /usr/share/dict/words to words.ascii, line for line, search
words.ascii, get the line number, and pull that line out of words.
Crude, but effective.

SteveT