Re: Slow mirror connections

On 07/01/2014 07:07 PM, Donald Norwood wrote:
On 07/01/2014 08:45 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
I have a Verizon Fios 50 MBs connection but have noticed of late that any significant updates (using Aptitude) start out at about 4-5 mBytes/s and after about 15 - 20% of the files have been transfered the transfer rate drops to about 1/20th of normal speed. Does anyone have any idea why this happens or where the problem lies. I'm using the standard entries in my sources.conf file.

After the "fooferah" that Netflix had with the big network providers, I don't trust them to really give me the service that I am paying for.

Gary R.

You have a few options:

Check your ISP speeds with a few of the websites that offer a speed analysis. Be mindful of peak Internet hours, not necessarily on your end with your FIOS connection but on the servers/services you are connecting to.

Check the response times from the servers in your source list and modify them to other servers accordingly.

Use the Debian mirror redirector to direct you to a closer mirror. Replace your currently configured Debian mirror in sources.list with the following address:

http://http.debian.net/debian
e.g. deb http://http.debian.net/debian stable main

Best regards,

Donald Norwood

Actually, I've done all of the above. I am using the debian.net URL's. My ISP speed always measures as advertised. The problem never shows up on measurements but only after the download has been going for a bit. It's like someone says "well this guy has gotton enough so lets slow his access down. The effect seems to be independant of time of day or day of week. I do notice a, maybe, 10% drop in speed during the busier times but nothing like the factor of 20 or more that I am refering to with this problem. My 10 minute downloads all of a sudden become 2 hour downloads.

Gary R.