Re: X appears to get the wrong resolution <SOLVED by workaround>

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 22:16:48 +0200
Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 16:11:30 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > exec /home/slitt/dwm-6.0/dwm
>
> This is not a regular pkg.

LOL, half my computer isn't a regular package.

On my computer, /d/bats, which is on my executable path, is a bunch of
programs, primarily bash and python, often calling C, Perl, Python,
Ruby and Lua programs I've written, to do the same tasks, distro after
distro, version after version. Interestingly, /d/bats was d:/bats back
when I used DOS/Windows in the 20th century. Indeed, "bats" originally
stood for "batch files". I'm pretty sure I had a d:/bats in 1989, but
definitely by 1995.

Throughout all this time, my computers hinged on a few of my beliefs:

* Mine is a *personal* computer, and I'm the only user
* Mixing config, cache and actual data is a bad idea, so my use
  of /home/slitt is minimized. This can only be done on a *personal*
  computer. My /d directory tree (d: drive in the Windows days) houses
  my data, and I try hard not to put important data in /home/slitt.
* I feel better trusting my business to code I've written, or tweaks
  I've made to make package programs do more of what I want them to
  do, and less strange stuff the developers though "sounded good at
  the time".
* Dependencies are the path to perdition, and if I can avoid them by
  coding my own stuff in Python, that's a good thing.

For instance, see this page: http://troubleshooters.com/linux/index.htm

When modifying that page, I actually modify a local copy of
http://troubleshooters.com/linux/linuxlibrary.otl, which I quickly
construct and change with VimOutliner. Then, I turn it into the web
page with my makeLinuxLibrary.sh command, and sftp the new web page up
to the server. /d/bats contains home-brew commands to check XML for
being well formed, to add id properties to every <h1> in a web page, to
run my home-brew Umenu in several different ways, to print envelopes
from a simple text file, to create personalized courseware packs to
my paying customers, and a whole bunch of other tasks. As a result, when
I change distros or versions, 90% of my everyday activities get
perfectly restored with my data backups.

As far as dwm, that's an example of software that shouldn't be a
package at all, in any distro. The only way to customize dwm is to
modify config.h and recompile, so why use a binary package?

SteveT