Re: Problems installing Perl modules with CPAN on Wheezy

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 09:14:09AM -0400, slitt wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:25:41 -0700
> David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>
> > On 06/27/2014 09:15 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > > For the record, you might find it more useful to check if Debian
> > > has a package first, before resorting to CPAN.
> >
> > +1
> >

> > I've destabilized Debian stable with non-Debian software, including
> > CPAN modules.  Now I am loath to install anything except via
> > 'apt-get'.
>

> LOL, at a client's place, I was trying to customize the
> Perl-written Interchange web store software (don't ever use it, it's
> an atrocity) on circa 2003 Red Hat, and had to use CPAN for a new
> capability. That CPAN download broke the client's Vim and some other
> softwares. It took me 2 hours to undo the damage.
>
> That was the beginning of the end of my relationship with Perl.

People have ended relationships for less ;-)

Installing new modules in Debian as root using a CPAN client
(cpan or cpanm) is rather uncertain, as modules get into
/usr/local. The Debian package management system knows
nothing about them, and so the system can lose its
consistency.

As a consequence, if your application requires perl modules
that *aren't* packaged by Debian (and therefore aren't
available through apt-get) it is usually better leave the
system perl alone.

You can install modules in your $HOME directory in two ways:

* Using local::lib - in this case you change your
  environment so that only your user sees the new
  modules (system perl is not disturbed.)

* Using perlbrew (which I prefer) to create
  one or more complete perl installations in $HOME.
  You can switch between them, or back to the
  system perl, as necessary.

I wouldn't recommend mixing local::lib and perlbrew.

greetings,

Joel