Re: overcoming apt's resistance to broken packages

On 06/27/2014 04:17 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2014-06-27 21:58 +0200, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 06/27/2014 03:31 PM, Mike McClain wrote:
>>
>>> I don't need xserver-xorg-video-mach64 or xserver-xorg-video-r128
>>> to run X on my machine but xserver-xorg-video-radeon comes
>>> bundled with them and xserver-xorg-video-ati.
>>
>> What do you mean by "comes bundled with", here?
>>
>> Looking at the package dependencies in current Debian testing,
>> installing xserver-xorg-video-ati should get you
>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon, but not the other way around.
>>
>> If you run 'apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-{radeon,ati-}', it
>> should install the former and remove the latter, without breaking
>> anything.
>
> Except that the X server will not autoload the radeon driver, so that
> an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file becomes necessary[1].

Well, that sucks.

I agree with Josh Triplett that autodetection looking only for 'ati'
rather than for the individual modules which 'ati' can implicitly load
is a bug that should be fixed. (The "point" of doing so - questioned in
the last comment on that bug report - would be to allow the obvious
'apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon' from a system that
previously didn't have X to Just Work, and to allow people to only
install the module for the card they actually have, not the ones for the
cards they don't have.)

Unfortunately, that bug report has been open and (apparently)
unaddressed since early 2012, so it's not looking likely to get changed
any time soon...

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.