Re: overcoming apt's resistance to broken packages

On 06/27/2014 03:31 PM, Mike McClain wrote:

> I don't need xserver-xorg-video-mach64 or xserver-xorg-video-r128 to
> run X on my machine but xserver-xorg-video-radeon comes bundled with
> them and xserver-xorg-video-ati.

What do you mean by "comes bundled with", here?

Looking at the package dependencies in current Debian testing,
installing xserver-xorg-video-ati should get you
xserver-xorg-video-radeon, but not the other way around.

If you run 'apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-{radeon,ati-}', it should
install the former and remove the latter, without breaking anything.

> A little experimentation established that X works fine without
> xserver-xorg-video-{mach64,r128} but apt-get complains about the
> broken ...-ati package and refuses to do anything else.

What exactly did you do to produce this result?

I'm guessing that you removed those two packages using

dpkg -r xserver-xorg-video-mach64
dpkg -r xserver-xorg-video-r128

but didn't touch xserver-xorg-video-ati itself.

If you explicitly install xserver-xorg-video-radeon as above, you
shouldn't need xserver-xorg-video-ati at all.

> Google results tell how to recover from missing dependancies but I
> didn't see any discussion about getting apt to ignore them.

The only way to get apt to ignore dependencies, that I know of, is to
remove the dependencies from the packages apt is tracking - in other
words, to rebuild the .debs without those dependencies. There's no way
to do it at runtime AFAIK.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.