Re: is this sensible?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 12:07:40PM +0200, François Patte wrote:
> Le 25/06/2014 14:11, Floris a écrit :
> > Op Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:06:25 +0200 schreef Floris
> > <jkfloris@dds.nl>:

> >> try: #apt-get install --no-install-recommends gthumb
> >>
> >> But I think there is a xserver-xorg-input-all and
> >> xserver-xorg-video-all dependency somewhere. Installing
> >> "xserver-xorg-input-evdev" and "xserver-xorg-video-nvidia" should
> >> be enough to satisfy all packages
> >>
> >> See: https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/gthumb for a list of
> >> dependencies
> >
> > for example:
> >
> > gthumb needs libc6 needs libgcc1 needs gcc-4.7-base
>
> This what is writen as dependencies in packages... OK but I am
> wondering why gthumb (and its dependencies) needs to install systemd

That sounds like a challenge :)

gthumb (3:3.3.1-2) depends on:
  gsettnings-desktop-schemas depends on:
    dconf-gsettings-backend depends on:
	  dconf-service depends on:
	    ... No, this doesn't look right
  libgtk-3.0 (>=3.10.0) depends on:
    ... more libraries...

I don't see anything there that would bring in systemd.

HOWEVER, this is, assuming an otherwise up-to-date system. gthumb *does*
have a number of versioned dependencies (see, for example, the
libgtk-3.0 dependency which states that, to run this version of gthmub,
you need a new enough version of libgtk-3.0). Updating those libraries
will have unforeseen consequences. Updating libgtk-3.0 may violate a
"breaks" dependency (these are not shown on the website, but I see that
libgtk-3.0 has a "Breaks: gnome-themes-standard" clause). Your options
then, to solve that breakage, are either to refuse the installation
(not exactly ideal as the user asked for the installation) or to find
an alternate package that replaces the broken package - that might be a
newer version, or it might be something else that replaces the broken
package.

Now, keep going around that circle until you have a final result. Either
you are able to install the package (by upgrading some portion of the
system to bring everything to a consistent state) or, if not, the
package is uninstallable.

Here, I would heartily recommend using aptitude's interactive mode. Ask
aptitude to install gthumb ('/' to search, enter 'gthumb' and press
enter, press 'n' until you find the right package, then press '+' to
mark for installation), then press 'g' to see the proposed changes,
scroll down to systemd and press 'i' until the bottom pane shows why
systemd is being installed.