Re: Reply To settings - was - Re: Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce GUI shutdown and restart do not work

Hi Bret.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, Bret Busby wrote:

On 18/06/2014, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 00:28:45 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

Now, if only the list defaulted to "Reply To List", it would be good,
and, make replying to the list, easier...

As far as I know, it does. As far as I know, everyone who replies to my
stuff on this list goes to the list. As far as I know, every one of my
replies to this list goes to the list.

Perhaps you have coded a "Reply to" in your email client.

I have just checked the full headers, using both the MTA formerly
known as PINE, and, gmail (I have my gmail account, subscribed, and,
my normal email address, subscribed, and, I use alpine for incoming
email, for the latter, due to the power of PINE), and both show no
presence of a Reply-To value having been set.

In both instances, in composing a reply to your message, the replies
default to replying to you only; a user needs to use the Reply To All
option, and then (if the user is inclined, and, I generally do it, to
minimise wastage of bandwidth and duplication of messages for
recipients) deleting the email address of the poster of the message to
which the reply is being composed (and deleting any other circulated
email addresses shown in the message header), and, cutting (from the
CC field), and pasting, the list address, to the To address for thew
message.

i am familiar with that kind of hamster-work.  done it myself for more
than a decade.  kind of a pita.

have you looked at alpine's roles?  Main menu > Setup > Roles.

i have, just now, created one of these roles, for alpine to apply when
i reply to messages located in the mailfolder where i file messages
received from debian-user.  it fills in the "To:" header automatically
and correctly, to debian-user, among other things.

below are the relevant non-default settings i chose for the role.
first, here are the triggering conditions:

] == CURRENT FOLDER CONDITIONS BEGIN HERE ==

] Current Folder Type =
]             Set    Choose One
]             ---  --------------------
]             ( )  Any
]             ( )  News
]             ( )  Email
]             (*)  Specific (Enter Incoming Nicknames or use ^T)
]                  Folder List = /full/path/to/debian/user/mailfolder

] == CURRENT MESSAGE CONDITIONS BEGIN HERE ==

] To pattern        = <No Value Set>
] [...]
] List-Id pattern   = debian-user.lists.debian.org
] Add Extra Headers
] [...]

to set a List-Id pattern, i had to add it using the "Add Extra
Headers" option.  (since the only messages i save in the specified
folder already fit the pattern, it is in fact redundant.)

the settings above make alpine consider applying the following
template to my own outgoing messages, when i'm in the designated
mailfolder and the currently viewed message was sent to the
debian-user listserv.

the settings below define the template applied to my outgoing
messages:

] == ACTIONS BEGIN HERE ==

] Initialize settings using role : <No Value Set>
] Set From        = davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu
] Set Reply-To    = debian-user@lists.debian.org
] [...]
] Set Other Hdrs  = To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
] [...]

it's the last setting that does the work you've been looking for, if i
understand you correctly.

hope this helps.

-wes