Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:31:50 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> 1) Am I correct that Debian's LXDE package installs lightdm?

This is a recommend not a dependency.

> 2) Does that come from the LXDE project, or is it a Debian thing?

I'd say a Debian thing.

> 3) Is there a way to turn off LXDE's install of lightdm?

Yep, uncheck it before installation (I use dselect & synaptic,
so it may be easier than with other pkg managers).

> The whole reason I'm switching from Xubuntu to Debian is to get
> away from both Plymouth and *dm. Fortunately, I find LXDE
> desireable, but no way do I find it necessary.

LXDE's not bad and lightweight, but I rejected it because of
its inability to automagically re-open (almost) all programs
that where in use in the last session.
XFCE does this very well and even if it is not as light as LXDE,
its consumption (CPU/RAM) stays acceptable.

--
Why contradict a woman? It is much more simpler to wait
for her to change her mind. -- Feydeau