Debian sid - kernel modules do not compile - too many open files

Hi,

Sorry - a bit long perhaps. But I have no idea what has happened and how should I fix the problem in a 'proper' way.

The story: Recently I noticed a weird problem. I'm not sure when it has happened, but since some time the kernel modules do not compile / initramfs do not update on kernel update.

The first symptom was that after installing linux-image-3.14...-amd64 the system did not boot. Well, it boots when I select the previous kernel. At the time I thought it's systemd related - perhaps I miss some libraries, after all it's sid.

But today I tried running virtualbox - first time since a while - and it did not start - it could not build kernel module.

After short investigation I found the reason: lots of errors:
ERROR: failed to load symbols from /lib/modules/.... too many open files

Tried to google it out - no success initially, then I found that the open file limits might be an issue:
$ ulimit -a
open files                      (-n) 1024

I decided to give it a chance and increase it:
# ulimit -Sn 4096

Now the module has built, I have reinstalled the kernel 3.14 - t has updated the initramfs correctly this time.

Now the question - WHY did it happen? Previously everything has been working OK. So either the file limit has changed or more files are being opened. Or something else. Any ideas?

How should I fix it? I considered increasing the open file limit with pam:
/etc/security/limits.conf
*	soft	nofile	4096

however I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do. And what is a 'reasonable' value?

Kind regards,
Michal

--
Michal R. Hoffmann