Re: need to roll back nvidia driver

On 06/20/2014 10:39 AM, Hans wrote:
Am Freitag, 20. Juni 2014, 01:04:30 schrieb Bob Proulx:
Ric Moore wrote:

Are you familiar with snapshot.debian.org?

   http://snapshot.debian.org/

A good way, I am using with nvidia is the following:

1. apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

This command removes all nvidia-packages even self built ones.

2. Add the repositories (like snapshot.debian.org) to the sources.list.

3. Then run aptitude with its ncurses gui.
Doing so, you can easily choose the required version and its dependcencies.

I suggest, to install the *-dkms version, so everything will be built fine,
even on kernel updates.

If debian-packages do not work properly (what I do not believe, as they are
well maintained), you can install the driver with Nvidia's installer file.

If you exprience with them and will then revert to the debian packages, make
sure, the Nvidia'-files are cleanly uninstalled (I mean here the Nvidia-*.run
--uninstall method).

If you are not sure, feel free to ask.

Good luck!
Thanks to you both! I have some digging to do, but thanks for the shovels! :) Ric