Re: systemd - keyboard key repeat rate (was ... Re: Article on swift, responsive computers)

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:33:37AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 18 Jun 2014 at 14:31:37 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > One other thing, I sense that the key repeat is not as fast as it was
> > before I installed systemd-sysv. It seems strange that an init system
> > should mess with the keyboard settings. Has anyone else noticed this or
> > is it just me?
>
> Key repeat is ok here.

Eventually I determined it is set by the kbdrate command.
It must have been set back to the default somehow:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_console

"Issuing the command without specifying the delay and rate will reset
the typematic values to their respective defaults; a delay of 250ms and
a rate of 11Hz: ..."

which is what it felt like -- too slow for me! :)

Issuing the command:
root@tal:~# kbdrate -d 200 -r 40
Typematic Rate set to 40.0 cps (delay = 200 ms)
old delay 250, period 33
Typematic Rate set to 30.3 cps (delay = 250 ms)

makes it a lot easier to work with. Although the output messages seem a
bit odd. I must have hit a max limit. I don't know where to set this so
it is remembered on boot. It is NOT in the vconsole.conf file.

This link https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156913 and
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4332.0 says a 'service file'
needs to be written. :(

In particular, this post
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4332.msg36088#msg36088

Bit wary of messing with things at the moment. It is starting to feel
like I have to learn a whole new OS :(

At least it is *a* solution, but the devils in the details, and Debian
*may* do things differently(?)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X