Re: apt-get update: unnecessary use of disk space

If you are interested in retrieving some disk space on this partition, I would
suggest to reduce the percentage of diskspace which may only be allocated by
privileged  processes. It is normally 5% of the diskspace of a partition. In
your case this makes ca. 1.8 GB. To me this seems more than ever needed. If you
reduce this reserve to, e.g., 2% or ca. 700 MB, which seems to me still enough
reserve. And you gain ca. 1.1 GB free space.
For the "ext" family of file systems this can be done on the running system.

The 5% value was introduced when storage devices were much much smaller than today.

What do others think about this?
--
Regards,
jvp.