Pasting files to the desktop: errors

Hi all,

I recently noticed some strange behavior of my system (Debian Wheezy with LXDE, installed from "debian-7.5.0-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso" ) when I tried to copy files directly to the desktop. Even though the desktop is completely empty I get the following message: "There is already a file with the same name in this location."
When I choose "rename" I end up with two copies of the file. When I choose "skip", "cancel" or "overwrite" I end up with one copy. So it seems that Debian copies the file two times?
Additionally, I have a similar problem when I cut/paste files directly to the desktop. In this case I get the following error: ": Error when getting information for file '/home/user/<path to file that was cut>': No such file or directory"
If I simply copy/paste or cut/paste the file to the /home/user/Desktop/ folder, I do not get any error messages, nor do I get any errors when I paste files to other locations. Copying to the desktop via terminal is no problem either. Saving files to the desktop from leafpad, my internet browser or other applications works fine as well.

I could reproduce these errors with my second computer which has the exact same software configuration.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

Thanks
Max