Re: boot order

> On Sun, 2014-06-15 at 01:46 -0400, davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu wrote:
>
> > >  echo "${SHUTDOWNBODY}" | mail -s "${SHUTDOWNSUBJECT}" ${EMAIL}
> > >  sleep 4
> > >  RETVAL=$?
> >
> > i can't comment on the rest of the script, but you probably want
> > RETVAL to be the exit status of the pipeline that sends the mail.
> > making RETVAL the exit status of 'sleep 4' looks wrong to me.
>
> Compliment for the heads up :).
>
> Indeed, it's unlikely that somebody wants to know the exit status of a
> sleep command and also unlikely that a sleep command will exit with
> another status than 0.
>
> I could imagine that there is a problem. While processing mail -s there
> might be a delay, but the script perhaps continues, so the OP perhaps
> got the exit status of echo, since mail -s didn't finish. Maybe a && is
               assumed the OP doesn't add the sleep command ;)
> what this problem could solve.

IOW

echo "${SHUTDOWNBODY}" | mail -s "${SHUTDOWNSUBJECT}" ${EMAIL} && RETVAL=$?

it at least seems to work here:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat .msmtp.mail/fraud.mail | msmtp -a default ralf.mardorf@rocketmial.com && echo $?
0
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$