Re: Preseeded setting on openssh-server ignored

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Bob Proulx wrote:

The biggest problem I have found using random passwords is that some
sites truncate the password to a shorter number of characters.  Some
of those are fairly high profile sites!  http://www.schwab.com/ is a
good example that truncates passwords at eight characters.  There is
no defensible rationale for doing that truncation.  When I see that I
assume that means that they are storing the plaintext of the password
somewhere.  Otherwise if they were properly hashing the password why
would they feel the need to truncate it?

well, this doesn't look all that old...

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/816-4558/toc.html

  The System Administration Guide: Naming and Directory Services (NIS+)

Copyright © 1994, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

and, drilling down a little...

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/816-4558/a08paswd-15680.html

A password must meet the following requirements:
  * Length. By default, a password must have at least six characters. Only the first eight
    characters are significant. (In other words, you can have a password that is longer than
    eight characters, but the system only checks the first eight.) Because the minimum
    length of a password can be changed by a system administrator, it may be different on
    your system.

pretty nice, eh?

there is an NIS package in debian.  couldn't find any indication of
its maximum (significant) password length, myself.  does it check more
than eight characters?

-wes