Re: grub rescue

The old NetInstall CD is out of data, that's why it is choked when it tried to grab packages.

I burned a new CD with current stable version and it looks fine by far.

Thanks,

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 4:40 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today I tried to install debian from a CD which dated back to 2011.
>
> Everything went fine,
>
> partition -> and then it arrived at the set up the mirror, I just choose
> default and think later changed in the /etc/apt.
> It started to download from that default ftp mirror.
> It was choked there for half a hour, the progress bar didn't proceed and it
> is said waiting ...
>
> The only thing I could do at that time, was took the CD out and reboot.
> Which I shouldn't have done that.
>
> After reboot, it showed me
>
> grub rescue>
>
> when I tried
>
> grub rescue> ls (hd0, msdos5)
>
> error: unknown filesystem.

By default, (hd0, msdos5) is a swap partition.

You need to run "set" and "ls" when you're dropped to a "grub rescue"
prompt in order to determine the "set ..." commands to run.