Re: PulseAudio (was Re: Sid Foibles)

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
>> except that each time I have read a reference to PA, it was to say that it
>> does not work correctly, and often, removing it seemed to solve the problem?
>
> PulseAudio does have its problems (I don't use it, because my sound
> card is a bit weird; I uninstalled PA and built ALSA from source, and
> everything's working, if a little fragile - this should not be taken
> as indicative), but with anything that's often installed by default,
> you'll hear advice to remove it more often than to install it, because
> the posts you're reading start from a standpoint of "my system has a
> problem". (People don't go around saying, "Hi, my system's working
> perfectly, what should I keep?". At least, I haven't heard much of
> that.)
>
> So, what's the general feeling? Is PA something that should be removed
> at first whiff of a problem, or is it a perfectly good program that
> cops an unfair reputation because of that selection bias?

Let's see: I have a rather standard 5-years old laptop. With ALSA
sound just works - I can record, I can listen, and I have volume
control. That is enough for me.
What happens when I install PA? Sound doesn't work anymore (at least
when more than one application is playing) - I have to configure it
first. And I prolly should file bug. Why bother doing so if purging PA
fixes every issue I have with sound? Especially when you consider that
I don't need PA capabilities.

--

darkestkhan
Feel free to CC me.