Re: media 'slideshow': movies + pictures

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Searching through current Debian packages now, the only one that looks
> at a second glance like it should be able to do this (aside from the
> ones which are specific to a different task, such as sending E-mail in
> response to the new file) is 'inoticoming'. You'd have to script what it
> should do when it sees the new file (worst-case scenario, "kill the
> player program and restart it with a clean copy of the updated
> playlist"; best-case scenario, "replace your current playlist with this
> new playlist, and don't stop playing the current item"), but it might be
> doable.

If you have to script it, I'd be inclined to just grab a scripting
language with inotify functionality. Personally, I use Pike, but it's
not in the Wheezy repos (although there does seem to be a pike7.8 in
wheezy-backports); there's also Python, with python-pyinotify (or
python-inotifyx, but I haven't that one). I could shoot you some
pyinotify code that I use here; it watches a directory tree, and any
time something's added, appends a date-stamped line to a file. If
there's a way to add to the current playlist on the fly (which can be
done with VLC I *think*??), this code would be about half of what you
need.

ChrisA