Re: media 'slideshow': movies + pictures

On 06/10/2014 05:45 AM, Wim Bertels wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-05-31 at 13:18 -0400, John L. Cunningham wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 01:14:27PM +0200, Wim Bertels wrote:
>>>
>>> ps: goal, setup a dynamic random slideshow (pic + movie) for the
>>> grandmother only using the power button
>>
>> How important is random? I've done something similar by making a
>> screen recording of feh doing a slide show, and then aadding a
>> soundtrack using a video editor (Might have been Pitivi but it also
>> could have been OpenShot, it's been a while.)
>
> it is, the setup should be dynamic (in adding new media files), just
> adding media files to a folder should be sufficient

In that case, the solution(s?) I proposed won't be good enough, and I'd
be mildly surprised if any of the others mentioned so far would be
either.

If you want something to automatically detect when a new file is added
to a directory, you'll either need something specifically written to
watch for things like that, or you'll need to write such a thing
yourself. The only things I know of that do that are more or less
dedicated to the purpose - mostly programs intended to react to the
arrival of new mail.

Searching through current Debian packages now, the only one that looks
at a second glance like it should be able to do this (aside from the
ones which are specific to a different task, such as sending E-mail in
response to the new file) is 'inoticoming'. You'd have to script what it
should do when it sees the new file (worst-case scenario, "kill the
player program and restart it with a clean copy of the updated
playlist"; best-case scenario, "replace your current playlist with this
new playlist, and don't stop playing the current item"), but it might be
doable.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.