Re: unable to mount removable media with xfce4 version 4.10.1

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 01:31:26PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> Quote from the first link:
>>
>> The udev built from the systemd source tree will stay compatible
>> with non-systemd init systems for a long time. This change is mostly
>> a detail of the build scheme, rather than a change of direction or
>> interfaces. Accordingly, the libudev API is untouched by these build
>> infrastructure changes. For us, compatibility is key.
>
> Allow me to remind you this story:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/484
>
> The whole mess started once udev (systemd) upstream took the liberty to
> rewrite udev's firmware loader, and blamed kernel for the resulting
> breakage. And what was the reason of rewriting said firmware loader?
> Some part of systemd design.

AIUI it was a good change for udev because boot was previously being
delayed while waiting for userspace to load firwmware.

Again AIUI the problem was procedural in that Kay warned the netdev
and hotplug developers about six months before the lkml flames but
didn't warn lkml itself or propose a kernel patch to accompany his
udev change. Perhaps he should've done the latter but I'm not familiar
enough with kernel development to know whether it would've been a
requirement. Given the hate generally directed at the two main systemd
developers, submitting a kernel patch like the one that was finally
written and merged would've been, at the very least, good PR. But some
people, like Lennart, Kay, and Mark Shuttleworth, seem to be incapable
of pre-smoothing ruffled feathers.

So it was more of a storm in a teacup than anything else. It just gave
and gives people who dislike systemd more ammunition for sniping.