Re: Networking an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax - ADDENDUM

On 06/07/2014 04:11 AM Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Saturday 07 June 2014 08:35:14 Lisi Reisz wrote:
Two questions.  And yes, I am googling and RTFMing, but I am left with two
immediate questions.  And as of now I have not got access to the device and
network in question.  I am trying to do my "homework" in advance.

The AIO in question is a CLX4195FN, but the two questions I have are
probably general to AIO.  We have the ULD and it is installed in both
computers that need access.  When the device is connected by USB to either
computer, it works fine.  But now we want, if possible, to network it.

1)  I assume that if the printer is connected by ethernet to a router, amd
that router is a wireless router, the printer can be controlled from a
laptop wirelessly connected to the router.  Is this correct?

2)  Can it scan over the network?  Again, I assume so, but would be
grateful for confirmation.

I omitted to say that the two computers are both running Debian Wheezy with
TDE 3.5.13.2.  The router is one supplied by Virgin (a cable company).  I
have no details.

Thanks.
Lisi

If the router functions as a normal router ought to function, then that shouldn't be a problem. You don't say whether your network is set up for static IP addresses or DHCP. I find static addressing to be more straightforward in instances like this. If the printer/scanner/fax worked when connected via USB, then you should be able to use the same configuration files or apps and just change the device address. E.g., using CUPS for printing, create another printer and specify the CLX4195FN's network address. Prior to doing that though, try running a 'ping' from your two Wheezy boxes to the all-in-one's network interface to ensure it's reachable.