Re: bridges with multiple static IPs or DHPC - how to configure?

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Steffen Dettmer
<steffen.dettmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Steffen Dettmer:

> thanks so much for you mail. As I wrote in my other mail just a
> minute ago, it seems I solved the issue (and it works in one of
> the most intuitive ways).

You're welcome.

> Thanks so much, you already helped so much to tackle down
> my VLAN problem last year (where to solution was, not to install
> package vlan when using VLAN).

You're welcome although I've completely forgotten about that(!).

> Do you - or anyone else - know the ip replacement for "brctl show"?
>
> "ip link show br1" is too brief, no information about the slave
> devices or STP mode.

For information about slave(s):
ip l | grep master

> How to enable STP (and set timeouts etc) using ip?

AFAIk it's not possible.

>> This might work:
>
> Yes, almost. I tried that with minor modifications it does work:
>
>> iface br0 inet static
>> address 10.1.1.1
>> netmask 255.255.255.248
> # NO: gateway 10.1.1.254
> # must be in network of course (SCNR :)):
> gateway 10.1.1.7
>> bridge_ports eth0
>> bridge_ports eth1
>>
>> iface br0 inet static
>> address 10.1.1.2
>> netmask 255.255.255.248
> #NO: gateway - can have only one default route without printing an error
> #NO: bridge_ports eth0
> #NO: bridge_ports eth1
>
> When bridge_ports appear again, it does not work. It could be
> that in such cases the bridge gets created again - thus losing
> all previously configured properties.

Thanks (I'd added a more or less random gateway without considering
your netmask, sorry!).

Thanks for correcting my suggestion. I should've considered that you
don't have to defin e the bridge and its ports twice! Especially since
if you try to do so with ip or brctl, the "second" bridge creation
will fail.