Re: where is my WiFi card? (ThinkPad T61)

On 2014-06-05 23:08, Jack Wilborn wrote:
> Might be that the wireless is 'wlan0' instead.  Might want to look at
> your config files to see it it's being used.  The items you are using
> (like 'lsusb', I assume you used 'lspci -vv' or something like that) are
> tools that read all ports, and usually the wifi stuff is located on a
> psi connection (does not have to be)..
>
> What installation stuff did you do?  (like 'wireless-tools') that should
> give you some indication of if it's working. Plus I think the 'lo' is
> the local loopback.
>
> Jack

According to the wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#NetworkManager , when using
NetworkManager, the wireless interface should not be referenced within
Debian's /etc/network/interfaces file.

So I didn't take any configuration steps, besides installing (aptitude)
the packages:

firmware-iwlwifi (non-free)
network-manager
network-manager-gnome
network-manager-kde
wireless-tools
wpasupplicant

and their dependencies.

I am using KDE. It says that network-manager-kde:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/network-manager-kde is a dummy
package, and that network-manager-gnome:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/network-manager-gnome works in KDE
too. But I can't see a systray applet anywhere, unless I run nm-applet
from the command line.

I also disabled openvpn on startup (I think it was installed as one of
the dependencies).

openvpn                   0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off

--
http://people.eisenbits.com/~stf/
http://www.eisenbits.com/