Debian Testing Jess: Server Randomly Reboots - No Logs / Indication - Rsyslog Issue?

Howdy List,

I am a recent "convert" from the RHEL/CentOS community and I am running a server of Debian Testing "Jess." I am running the latest 3.14.4-1 kernel and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade have no pending installs.

The issue I am facing is that at random, unrepeatable times, the server locks up and requires a reboot. However, none of the system generated logs in /var/logs/ report any kernel panic or memory dump. I have ran a number of grep commands and even manually spent time tracing the logs at the time of day and nothing shows up. I ended up performing a chassis swap (replaced motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, etc). Yet, this still occurs.

This leads me to believe that the Rsyslog is not accurately logging messages. I am running the default provided rsyslog.conf file that was provided. The necessary lines are listed below:

  58 #
  59 # First some standard log files.  Log by facility.
  60 #
  61 auth,authpriv.*                 /var/log/auth.log
  62 *.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
  63 cron.*                          /var/log/cron.log
  64 daemon.*                        -/var/log/daemon.log
  65 kern.*                          -/var/log/kern.log
  66 lpr.*                           -/var/log/lpr.log
  67 mail.*                          -/var/log/mail.log
  68 user.*                          -/var/log/user.log

Is it the "delayed" logging "dashes" a cause of the no logs?

Thanks,
-Adam

--
Adam Brenner <adam@aeb.io>