Re: Remove unwanted, orphaned files and dependencies

On Sun 01 Jun 2014 at 20:05:23 +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> My knowledge and experience with aptitude is much better than with
> apt/apt-get/apt-cache. As the first document comparing these tools I recommend
> the one in the package "debian-reference-en" (or another language you prefer)
> which of course is also available on the debian site.
>
> The search option of aptitude is very versatile and from the man-page of
> apt-cache(8) I couldn't find options equivalent to '~c' or '~g'.

I think you are right here. The search functions of aptitude are more
powerful (in the sense that its inteface provides them) than those of
apt-get/apt-cache. ~c would require descending into dpkg, for example.

> apt-get has also a purge option but I haven't tried it on a list of already
> removed packages

It doesn't do anything. You have to resort to dpkg.