Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

On Sun 01 Jun 2014 at 19:57:34 +0200, hohe72@arcor.de wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote (Sun, 1 Jun 2014 14:15:25 +0100):
> > On Sun 01 Jun 2014 at 05:06:33 -0700, Horatio Leragon wrote:
> >
> > > Below is a scenario:
> > >
> > > 1. I do not have internet access during installation of Debian. The
> > > install routine will skip the steps of auto-configuring my network
> > > adapter.
> > >
> > > 2. After installation, I am able to find a place where internet
> > > access is available.
> > >

> > > 3. What are the commands to type to tell my installed Debian to
> > > auto-configure my network adapter?
> > >
> > > 4. Do I have to type the commands in a console tty1 or Gnome3
> > > environment?
> >
> > If you have GNOME you'd be as well using the software it provides,
> > Network Manager. Otherwise there is interfaces(5) (man interfaces).
> > It has oodles of examples to look at.
>
> Note: network adapters defined in /etc/network/interfaces
> (interface(5)) will be ignored by Network Manager.

Both of us are cabable of reading

 https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#Wired_Networks_are_Unmanaged

   As of Debian 6.0 "Squeeze", NetworkManager does not manage any
   interface defined in /etc/network/interfaces by default.

   Unmanaged devices means NetworkManager doesn't handle those network
   devices. This occurs when two conditions are met:

I'll let you decide whether you need to modify your statement or the
wiki to conform with reality.