Re: best way to backup USB stick (2)

On 15/04/2014 12:34 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> PaulNM wrote:
>> On 04/13/2014 10:16 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>> Specifically: usbDrive=/dev/sde1
>>
>> You're not backing up and restoring usb drives, you're backing up and
>> restoring a partition on usb drives.  The partition table and bootloader
>> aren't handled by your script.  No bootloader=no booting. :)
>>
>> I'd suggest getting the whole device (/dev/sde) unless you're planning
>> to restore to a drive with other partitions you want to preserve.

The other thing to realize is that you can have two different USB
sticks, but they present differently to the OS and/or BIOS.

For instance, I have a cheap 64GB Sandisk stick that /looks/ like a
fixed drive and another 64GB Silicon Power [SP] stick that presents as
removable (under Windows in this case).  Consequently a backup tool
provided by Toshiba to backup the Windows 8 installation only works on
the SP drive.  Both are overkill for storage, but I would have been
happy to use the slower and otherwise less useful Sandisk device for the
backup.

I did a copy of the SP drive to the Sandisk one (using dd), it did boot
okay, but it failed to do recovery when I tested it; the original backup
on the SP stick works flawlessly.

As an aside, the Windows backup is probably never going to be used, but
I want it just in case.  Already had Kali linux installed and I will be
trying other distros until I settle on one, but I definitely won't be
using Windows 8 on the machine.

In AU we had an advert which said:
  "Oils Aint Oils Sol" ...
  -- we can say the same about USB sticks.

Cheers
A.