Re: How can I benchmark my brand new usb 3.0 WD My Passport hdd

On 30/05/2014 12:18 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 29 mai 14, 16:06:26, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> It's not exactly obvious what you're trying to achieve. You already
> bought the drive. Do you intend to return it if the tested speeds are
> not to your liking?

Well, drives are cheap, but if it isn't up to scratch -- then it can
perhaps be used differently.  If it is up to scratch, then great; either
way it would be good to validate.

Speeds can vary on different machines too though, chipsets vary, CPU and
other details vary ... so benchmarking can give poor results with some
equipment and better results with other equipment.  The "Universal" part
of USB is just the port, the attached equipment is often not very
universal at all (hence the need for specific device drivers).

> Or maybe you just want to know what speeds to expect when doing
> real-life transfers? Then the best test is to actually time those
> transfers...

Yes, if you know you have a slow drive, like some Sandisk 64GB USB 2.0
sticks I brought recently (comatose slow) ... you can use them for
specific non time critical storage.  Get better USB sticks [or other
media] for works that need transfers done more quickly.

Cheers
A.