Re: about heirloom mailx

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Trying to use heirloom mailx to test various exim4 settings and It
> works, but there is something in it that bugs me.  Makes me think I'm
> doing something wrong.

I use mailx for sending emails all of the time.  I don't see the
problem you reported.  Works for me.

Normally I use the mailx from bsd-mailx.  I just now tested with
heirloom-mailx and it behaves the same.  That is to say it works
fine.  Because of the alternatives can you verify that you are using
the version of mailx that you expect?

On my system after installing heirloom-mailx I now have:

  # update-alternatives --display mailx
  mailx - auto mode
    link currently points to /usr/bin/heirloom-mailx
  /usr/bin/bsd-mailx - priority 50
    slave Mail: /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
    slave Mail.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/bsd-mailx.1.gz
    slave mail: /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
    slave mail.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/bsd-mailx.1.gz
    slave mailx.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/bsd-mailx.1.gz
  /usr/bin/heirloom-mailx - priority 60
    slave Mail: /usr/bin/heirloom-mailx
    slave Mail.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/heirloom-mailx.1.gz
    slave mail: /usr/bin/heirloom-mailx
    slave mail.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/heirloom-mailx.1.gz
    slave mailx.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/heirloom-mailx.1.gz
  /usr/bin/mh/mhmail - priority 25
    slave Mail: /usr/bin/mh/mhmail
    slave Mail.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/mhmail.1.gz
    slave mail: /usr/bin/mh/mhmail
    slave mail.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/mhmail.1.gz
    slave mailx.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/mhmail.1.gz
  Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/heirloom-mailx'.

> Here is a typical example
>
>   mailx -v recip@location.com
>   Subject: what ever
>   ble
>   bleh
>   .
>   <ENTER>
>
> And away it goes and outputs the smtp conversation ending in the
> message
>
>   [...]
>
>   LOG: MAIN
>   Completed
>
> But then I never get the prompt back.

This is what I see:

  rwp@havoc:~$ echo test test test | mailx -s "heirloom-mailx test" bob@proulx.com
  rwp@havoc:~$

And the same with bsd-mailx too.

> The cmdline is live... that is, if I type a cmd it will be executed
> and then I get the prompt back.

Please verify that you have a clean .mailrc file.  It is possible that
commands in that file will be a source of breakage.  Normally aliases
live there.

> Or I can hit Enter, or ^c to get the prompt back.
>
> But shouldn't I get the prompt back when the process
> completes.. without having to do anything extra?

Yes.  That is how it works for me.

> Or am I just not using it correctly from the gate?

See my example for how it works for me.

Bob