Re: Wish to ALMOST clone a logical partition

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Sb, 24 mai 14, 12:07:04, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm running a series of experiments tweaking my Debian install.
The procedure I wish to follow is:
   0. Primary partition will have a normal install and will NOT be modified
      Grub2 installed to a second primary partition

Do you mean "installed in the first sector of the partition" or just the
config is pointing to that partition?

I had found "somewhere" a description of installing Grub2 to its own partition - I've mislaid the link.

The general sequence was:
1. Do a fairly typical install of Squeeze(6.0.5) to primary partition sda1
     allowing installer to place grub on MBR.
  2. Create a small primary partition (sda2) dedicated to grub.
     (all test installs and swap on logical partitions)
  3. Do grub-install /dev/sda2
  4. Edit grub.cfg residing on sda2 to have menu appear as desired.
  5. For each test configuration:
install to a logical partition without installing grub or lilo
       reboot into install on sda1
       run update-grub
copy and edit appropriate section under os-prober to the grub.cfg on sda2

   1. install a minimal system to a logical partition
   2. "clone" that partition to four additional logical partitions
   3. Tweak the copies to have unique
       a. hostname
       b. partition label
       c. UUID

Running dd from the "master" on the primary partition satisfies "cloning"
function.
Labeling partition done easily with gparted etc.
Hostname can be set in /etc/hostname .

You already have the answer, just a comment:

How can I have each of the "clones" have a unique UUID. All partitions will
be bootable and I suspect Grub could have problems.

Grub doesn't care about the bootable flag, but yes, depending on
grub.cfg having several partitions with same UUID can cause problems.

Kind regards,
Andrei