Re: Wish to ALMOST clone a logical partition

On Sb, 24 mai 14, 12:07:04, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running a series of experiments tweaking my Debian install.
> The procedure I wish to follow is:
>   0. Primary partition will have a normal install and will NOT be modified
>      Grub2 installed to a second primary partition

Do you mean "installed in the first sector of the partition" or just the
config is pointing to that partition?

>   1. install a minimal system to a logical partition
>   2. "clone" that partition to four additional logical partitions
>   3. Tweak the copies to have unique
>       a. hostname
>       b. partition label
>       c. UUID
>
> Running dd from the "master" on the primary partition satisfies "cloning"
> function.
> Labeling partition done easily with gparted etc.
> Hostname can be set in /etc/hostname .

You already have the answer, just a comment:

> How can I have each of the "clones" have a unique UUID. All partitions will
> be bootable and I suspect Grub could have problems.

Grub doesn't care about the bootable flag, but yes, depending on
grub.cfg having several partitions with same UUID can cause problems.

Kind regards,
Andrei