Re: Setting up a home gateway/router

On Sat, 24 May 2014 18:45:38 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> Reco a écrit :

> >> Less. .0 and .255 are reserved as network and broadcast addresses.
> >
> > I seen ISPs that advertise routes ending with 0. A violation of certain
> > RFC, I'm sure, but it did work.
>
> 1) A route is not an address.

Indeed it is not.

> 2) An address ending with 0 is not always a network address (and
> conversely), depending on the prefix length. It is for /24.

And you're correct here too.

IIRC in one case they gave their customers /20 subnet with a default
route ending with zero. Such 'network configuration' worked only with
certain proprietary OS which had four-colored banner as a logotype.
Suffice to say that on ISP level nobody cared about any other scenario
of using their service.

Reco