Re: Setting up a home gateway/router

On Fri, 23 May 2014 06:57:15 +0200
csanyipal@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wish to set up my home headless power pc box as a gateway/router
> ( GW ). I can connect to it with SSH only.
>
> Before, I set up this GW to get an IP address from my ISP with
> dhcp.client.
>
> Now, I ask a static IP address for this GW and don't know how to setup
> eth0 interface so I can connect to Internet from this GW and to
> forward Internet connection to my LAN.
>
> My ISP
>   --- eth0 ( GW ) --- eth1
>                         LAN
>
> This is my home network that I want to set up.
>
> The state of this setup so far is that that I can SSH into GW only,
> but can't reach the Internet, and from LAN I can't reach Internet too.
>
> Can I get advices how to setup my home network?
>
> --
> Regards, from Paul

Are the ip adresses on your LAN publicly routable ?
Probably not ?

You will need to set up network address translation to masquerade all
your internal traffic as coming from the public ip address assigned by
your ISP. This requires some trickery with iptables. You will need a
firewall too, anyway.

The shorewall documentation gives some guidelines on how this can be
done, and shorewall is more managable than manipulating iptables
directly. http://www.shorewall.net