Re: wireless can DHCP but not DNS?

On Thu 22 May 2014 at 20:03:13 -0400, Tom Roche wrote:

> Tom Roche Thu, 22 May 2014 15:08:36 -0400
> >> summary: box ethernets via wire, but all wireless fails, including
> >> known-good providers: `ifconfig -a` shows a wireless IP#, but
> >> `nslookup` fails. How to fix or debug?

I was thrown by the use of 'ethernet' as a verb and my scanning of the
very long lines (which I have wrapped) was a failure. :)

> And in fact the symlink I had made (more below) was gone:

You do not need to make the symlink - resolvconf does it for you when it
installs.

> And restoring the symlink restores my ability to DNS on other networks
> (other than wired to my own switch):

Confusing. I thought you were saying a wired connection works but
wireless doesn't.

> me@NewBox ~ $ date ; sudo ln -sf /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

This is unnecessary. I think I would purge and reinstall resolvconf and
see whether it does make the link itself.