Re: want to revert back to gnome classic mode.

On Wed, 21 May 2014 05:52:18 -0400
Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:57:29AM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > thanks alot guyz, i am actually a server side guy using mostly
> > terminal window. i am new to gnome and xfce.
> > so my question is, are all the applications from gnome will be
> > available in xfce, is it like a layer on the top of gnome 3. are
> > all gnome utilities will be available as well? like system monitor
> > etc.
> >
> ---end quoted text---
>
> I'd stay away from Xfce4 it hasn't had much activity from the
> developer for *some* time.
>
> However Cinnamon is a good alternative as it's actively maintained and
> uses the less buggy GTK3. MATE afaik is built with the GTK2 stuff that
> is quite buggy. Or with Gnome-Shell there is fallback and other modes
> that will probably give you the familiar interface.

Mate intents to support both GTK2 or GTK3, and leaves it up the the
distributions what they choose to build with.

And GTK2 is more buggy then GTK3 ? Really ?

> That being said maybe give Gnome-Shell some time - I disliked it at
> first, but after a month came around and can appreciate it. There are
> a plethora of gnome-shell extensions also that can help one customize
> the shell to look like the traditional desktop.

I had the opposite reaction. I didn't instantly dislike it when it came
it, and thought that the detractors where just too close minded to try
out new improved interface concepts. After having used it for one and a
half years however, I have grown to absolutely dispise it.