Re: Systemd and vt9

On Tue, 20 May 2014 23:53:04 -0700
Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been reading a lot of posts (here and in devel) about the
> upcoming change to Systemd as the default init system in Jessie.  I
> came acrosss a post along the wasy that mentioned a debug option that
> would open a root shell in vt9.  This could cause a problem for me as
> I always have an X session running in vt9 (as well as one on vt7 and
> one on vt8).
>
> Yes, there are three X sessions always running on my system.  Mine,
> my wife's and my daughter's.  All it takes is a Ctl-Alt-Fx to switch
> between sessions so there is no need for all three of us to use a
> single X session, or to log out and back in as a new user. Everything
> is always just as I left it when I return to the computer, even if
> both my wife and daughter have been using it for hours.
>

> I accomplish this by using an alias for startx in each of our
> logins.  I use:
>
>      alias startx='clear; startx -- :0 vt07'
>
> for myself,
>
>      alias startx='clear; startx -- :1 vt08'
>
> for my wife, and
>
>      alias startx='clear; startx -- :2 vt09'
>
> for my daughter.
>

> So can anyone who is actually using Systemd now (I am still on
> Wheezy, BTW) tell me if this is going to be an issue for me?  Can I
> do this once my box has been converted to Systemd?  What about that
> root login on vt9?
>
> Marc

The debug shell on vt9 is not active by default. You only want to
enable that when you have boot problems, as it gives you a root shell
without requiring any authentication.

$ systemctl status debug-shell
debug-shell.service - Early root shell on /dev/tty9 FOR DEBUGGING ONLY
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/debug-shell.service; disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:sushell(8)

But even if the debug shell is running, the X server can still start on
vt9.