Re: Accelerated driver for Intel video driver?

On Mon, 19 May 2014 19:18:38 -0400
Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope I don't run afoul of the self-imposed list monitors or
> otherwise fan a flame war...:)
>
> I have been using nvidia cards in my computers for so long that I
> haven't really kept up with the state of Intel...
>
> My problem is that when I try to play a video on this machine, either
> with mplayer or vlc, the video starts, and I will get about 1/2" of
> the frame that is actually playing, usually it is at the top. The
> audio plays normally. This happens whether in a window or full screen.
>
> The machine in question is a Dell Inspiron 5537 laptop with 6GB of
> RAM that has an Intel Haswell ULT video card in it. lspci shows me:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>         Subsystem: Dell Device 05e9
>
> Looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it appears to be loading several
> modules, including
>
> [ 36918.029] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> [ 36918.127] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
> [ 36918.168] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
> [ 36918.195] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
> [ 36918.197] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> [ 36918.219] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
> [ 36918.248] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> [ 36918.293] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
> [ 36919.740] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> [ 36919.926] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
>
> Other apps seem to behave normally. I can play youtube videos, for
> example. Please let me know what other information I can provide.
>
> Thanks,
> --b

Intel video is normally working out of the box, but for newer
hardware you also need up to date software.

So if you are on 7.5, try upgrading Jessie.

For example, I couldn't get 3d accelleration working on the integrated
adapter of my i5-4570S on Debian 7.3, and upgrading to testing
solved it.

You can check if it's the same problem with:
$ glxinfo | grep renderer

If there is something with LLVM in the output, it's not working and
falling back to software emulation. While you're at it, you can also
try glxgears.