Re: set higher verbosity in exim4 output

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 03:19:53PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> What version does that for you?
> Here is is: Exim version 4.82 #3 built 12-Apr-2014 14:20:29

Exim version 4.80 #3 built 02-Jan-2013 19:40:22

> When I try it, either as my user or root I get lots of info especially
> with -d, but also a list of reasons why I shouldn't be doing this and
> it just returns the prompt and never gives a chance to type anything.

Oops. I forgot you have to provide an address on the command line, which is the
address to which the test message is sent, e.g.

> sudo /usr/sbin/exim4 -v jmtd@debian.org

> Using -d and sudo I get a heap of interesting info but am not allowed
> to send anything.

Sorry yes you need a recipient address for -d too,

> Trying /usr/sbin/exim4 -v $recip < somefile

which you've tried... (as the superuser still? having said that, it works for
me as a regular user)

> Gives the same output.
> Apparently something has been done to stop that kind of usage.

Hrmpph. That's odd. Would you mind sharing your exim config? either
/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf or /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated,
assumimg they don't contain anything private.