Re: can't get wicd to work

Le 19/05/2014 15:55, Patrick Wiseman a écrit :
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>> I got this problem, when I had network-manager installed, too. It looked for
>> me, like they do not want exist together. I have no explanantion for it, but
>> deinstalling and purging all network-manager packages fixed the problem.
>>
>> On the other hand, network-manager is now state-of-the-art, so maybe it will
>> be your choice, too.
> For my part, I prefer network-manager. wicd wouldn't do vpn when I
> made that decision, and that may have changed.

When I looked at it network-manager had big problems with openvpn :
instead of importing a config file "as is" it extracted the part of
config file it knew, dropping the rest. In my case that meant it did not
setup an IPv6 tunnel, thus letting all IPv6 communication go clear...

>> However, if you do not use gnome, the installation of the network-manager
>> package will install tons of unneeded gnome crap.
> Really? I use xfce in preference to Gnome, and I have network-manager
> installed. Much of what n-m _depends_ on seems probably necessary to
> its functionality; it may be that it _recommends_ "unneeded gnome
> crap," but you are free to reject those recommendations.

XFCE is based on tk thus you already have a big bunch of gnome stuff...

>> I already filed a bugreport according to this, but still the package-team
>> didn't care.
> Maybe it's not a bug.

Not in the eyes of gnome team who acts as if it were an heresy to use
somthing else thant what they decide we should use.