Re: set higher verbosity in exim4 output

On Mon 19 May 2014 at 07:30:23 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > There is an implication here that you think exim (or sendmail) is to be
> > manipulated directly. That is not the case. It is a daemon which listens
> > and which deals with mail *which is sent from a client*. The client
> > interacts with Debian's exim and exim, if the setup is sane, processes
> > the message. The transaction is recorded in /var/log/exim4/mainlog.
>
> I'm not interested in whether exim, sendmail or postfix are what I
> need.  I don't know for sure and don't care right now. I'm attempting
> to get setup with exim.

What makes you think I have the slightest interest in what you choose as
an MTA?

> So again, my question is fairly straight forward... how can I
> manipulate exim directly from the command line, and increase the
> verbosity level of that mail handling program?

   exim -d

Other options are in exim(8). -qff might be a useful one to add.

> Went thru the config... I can not tell from log output why my mail is
> not sent or delivered.  I want to see more verbose output of the smtp
> conversation at the smart host.

You are told what is happening:

   (-53): retry time not reached for any host

More verbose output may or not help.

> This kind of output is not very helpful:

It tells you that exim has tried previously to deliver and failed. No
new attempts will be made for x minutes.