Re: set higher verbosity in exim4 output

On Mon 19 May 2014 at 00:32:26 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I understand one can send messages with exim directly from the command
> line like sendmail but could not find any examples of that.

There is an implication here that you think exim (or sendmail) is to be
manipulated directly. That is not the case. It is a daemon which listens
and which deals with mail *which is sent from a client*. The client
interacts with Debian's exim and exim, if the setup is sane, processes
the message. The transaction is recorded in /var/log/exim4/mainlog.

I'm not going to put any thought into how the verbosity in mainlog can
be increased because

1. It is relatively straightforward to set up a working exim on Debian.

2. The nature of your basic problem is unknown.

> the exim manpages appears to be devoid of basic examples.

That is an exageration; there are many manual pages and examples abound.
Please consult the excellent Debian documentation too.

> How would I send a message directly with exim4 from the command line and
> at the same time set verbosity to a much higher level?

So that we all have a common starting point:

   apt-get purge exim4-config

   apt-get --purge autoremove

   apt-get install exim4

Then run

   dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

and chose the 'internet site' option. On most of the following screens
you can just press ENTER for now.

Now send a mail to an address (or to addresses) you control using mailx.
Check mainlog and check whether the mail arrives.