Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On 5/17/14, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sb, 17 mai 14, 13:08:06, Slavko wrote:
>> Can i have ideals too? Or are the ideals reserved for FSF, Cory
>> Doctorow, etc? Yes, i can!
>
> I never said you or I or Mozilla or Debian don't have ideals
> (http://www.debian.org/social_contract). In fact I would find it
> offensive is someone would imply that. However, having (the same) ideals
> says nothing about the means one is using to try to reach them.
>
> In my opinion FSF is pushing Mozilla to fight a battle it can't win. At
> least not now.

I tend to agree with this sentiment.

>> And when i have my own ideals, am i enough free (and have i enough of
>> the free) to tell, that i am disappointed? Tell, that i disagree with
>> Mozilla, Adobe, Google, etc... Yes, i can disagree with them!
>
>     I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
>     right to say it.
>         -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Great timing for this quote!

>> Can i see, that from DRM is only small step to ACTA (or similar), if no
>> other see it? Yes, i can this too!
>>
>> Need i allow shoppers to go into my home, to they can see that i am not
>> a burglar? To they can check that i don't steal nothing? No! Really no!
>> I am not a burglar and even if i will burglar, there is judge, which
>> need to allow this. Then, why i need to allow that companies come into
>> my home and use *MY* computer (without paying for this) to protect
>> *THEIR* right? No, no, no! I respect their rights and expect, that they
>> will respect my rights!
>
> Nobody forces you to install the add-on, certainly not Mozilla or
> Debian.

Unfortunately, common sense is not so common in a lot of people's
reactions. I appreciate what the Mozilla devs have achieved (although
I think their endless UI changes and various UI plugins being broken
over and over and OVER, is simply horrendous! - still, they're doing
the development, not me..)