Re: [OT] How long is an unused HD 'new'?

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> I fed a mouse to an intertube seer... could this be what Curt refers too?
>
> http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critical-design-flaw-found-in-wd-caviar-green-hdds.html

I don't know about eight seconds as a specific value, but the last
time I put a WD Green drive into a server (and, btw, it is the last
time I ever will), it wasn't the drive that got old, so much as
listening to the complaints of my users: the first time they hit that
particular server after a period of idleness, stuff would take
*forever* to load up. Of the order of ten seconds just waiting for the
disk to spin up, worse in some cases. (Possibly exacerbated by human
beings with low timeouts, who would cancel the request and start a new
one - resulting in a backlog of requests once the drive finally got
going. But still, it was quite a delay.)

ChrisA