Re: loss of I/O on some websites

On 05/11/2014 08:59 AM, Whit Hansell wrote:

> Am getting frustrated.  On the internet today there are so many sites
> that have taken on so much advertising that it is killing my desire
> to go to various sites.  I mean specifically news sites.
>
> My box is a relatively new AMD quad core over 3 Gh, 16 Gb Ram and a
> video card w. 1 Gb memery on it, running Wheezy always updated and
> current.  I go to some news sites and they have video start up and
> run while I'm still trying to get the  page loaded and then trying to
> scroll the page my I/O (mouse and/or cursor keys) won't work or I
> have to wait for a video ad or more get done.  Than someitmes w/o
> meaning to I scrolll over another ad and it starts running it's video
> and it starts all over again.
>
> Am I missing something in some an additional program I can install to
> help take over or as an addon to Eceweasel browser?  This is really
> frustrating and I woiuld appreciate any help anyone can give.

Although this isn't particularly Debian-specific, assuming the video in
question is in fact from ads rather than from intentional page content,
it sounds like you want Adblock Plus. It's available from the official
Mozilla add-ons Website:

  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

and is also available as a Debian package:

  apt-get install xul-ext-adblock-plus

It's one of several add-ons which I consider an essential part of any
Firefox / Iceweasel installation I'm going to actually use on a regular
basis.

For more complete and comprehensive blocking I also use NoScript, but
that adds rather more hassle for making things continue to work, and
it's not always necessary for this purpose.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.