Re: Is Debian still Debian?

Slavko:

> in last weeks (or months?) i see a lot of daily updates in Debian
> testing. I am using the testing for years and i am surprised by this.

The amount of updates that testing receives depends greatly on the
current phase of the release cycle. I don't know whether there are hard
numbers on this, but I would assume you can see the most activity
shortly after a release and before a freeze. Jessie is about to freeze
early November, which is not too far away for Debian's standards.

> I encounter with this some years ago, when i was uisng Ubuntu as LTSP
> server, where i get 18 (by word eighteen) kernel updates in one year,
> and most of them involves some problem - not big problems, but all was
> needed to solve. Then i switch to Debian due more stability (IMHO, by
> more precise work of Debian maintainers).

The most "precise work" is available in Debian stable.

> Now it seems, that the Debian is Ubuntized. The work is going quick
> (and then not very good). As example, there is a CUPS package. It
> changes (taken from changelog) more times by month, see some latest:
>
> 04 May 2014 12:18:32 +0200
> 02 May 2014 15:54:20 +0200
-- snip

The number of changelog entries is not necessarily directly related to
the number of updates you see in testing. Either way I have no idea why
you complain about someone working on their packages.

> As anyone can see, there was 18 updates during cca 4 months!

So what?

> There are three changes: 2 times Ubuntu, 4 time Ubuntu bugs fixed (and
> one Debian). Really are Debian users interested in Ubuntu problems?!

Debian developers might be interested which is, in the end, a plus for
users of both Debian and Ubuntu.

> Then i ask, what is in the subject. Are Debian repos still Debian's
> repos or there are quick Ubuntu's developers migrating into Debian with
> they chaotic job and using Debian for own (Ubuntu) purposes?

Debian is upstream for Ubuntu and other distributions. It generall helps
both sides if Debian incorporates fixes from other distributions, even
if it isn't directly affected by them. Keeping the number of differences
between packages of the same software small is a win for everyone.

> But this question involves some another:
>
> * Is this a direction, where Debian is coming in near future?

Is Debian trying to co-operate with other distributions and keeping
everyone's workload low? -I hope so.

> * Need i escape from Debian, as i ran away from Ubuntu?

Absolutely, if you do not want to have anything to do with anybody who
is directly or indirectly involved with Ubuntu.

> * How are Debian users interested in Ubuntu problems?

See above.

> * Is the Canonical managing the Debian too?

No.

> * Is Debian still involved in stability, where for years was Debian =
>   quality and stability, or it becomes only testing platform for
>   Canonical business?

Debian is still fully committed to stability for stable. Testing has
always been and will always be in flux.

Technical quality for bot testing and unstable is still very high, in my
opinion. I run sid on my laptop and while I install tons of updates on a
daily basis, I don't have any trouble with them.

> * Who, why and when decided this?
> * Am i only one, who is frustrated by this?

I think you are drawing conclusions from misunderstandings and
confusion.

The number of updates is not a useful measure for code quality. The
nummber of mentions of other distributions in a changelog is not a
useful measure for political influence of this distribution on Debian.

Do you actually have problems with one or more packages? -If so, please
report them and be glad that testing receives so many updates because
that means somebody cares for the software you use and probably also
fixes bugs.

Debian as a whole is almost impossible to manage. Its strength and
weakness at the same time is that every Debian Developer can do what she
or he wants. Even if Mark Shuttleworth wanted to "manage" Debian, he
couldn't. Debian cannot be bought. I guess if this was possible,
Shuttleworth would have done that instead of starting Ubuntu.

Please note that I don't like Ubuntu very much either. I think they made
decisions that hinder interoperability and the advance of Free Software.
But the same probably applies to RedHat. They just don't receive so much
flak for some reason.

J.
--
In the west we kill people like chickens.
[Agree]   [Disagree]