Re: Default & supported service manager in Wheezy

On Fri, 09 May 2014 17:24:13 +1000
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/14 16:19, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A long time ago, when I was young ;-), services used to be managed
> > with "invoke-rc.d" ...

And starting/stopping is one thing, but especially confusing is,
how do you disable/enable a service:

insserv -r foo
update-rc.d foo disable
systemctl disable foo

All have subtle differences in behaviour. But which one is correct ?

You could say, systemctl on systemd and update-rc.d on sysv-init, but
is that true ?

Should insserv ever be used direcly or is this a low
level tool used by the others ? The man page seems to suggest that:

"insserv  is  a  low  level  tool  used  by update-rc.d which enables
an installed system init script"

and also:
"  -r, --remove
              Remove the listed scripts from all runlevels."
                                             ^^^

Yet this wiki tell me to use insserv:
https://wiki.debian.org/Daemon?highlight=%28insserv%29#Enabling_daemons ?

And insserv -r now seems to only remove the service from the default
runlevel instead all all runlevels.
Quoting the wiki:

"To disable a daemon at its default runlevels, execute ...."
                            ^^^^^^^
If insserv -r removes the link, is there a chance will it get silently
recreated when dpkg updates or reinstalls the package ? That would be
one reason not to use it.

So yeah, it raises many questions. For me at least ;)