Re: solved: `ls` shows file, `bash` says "No such file" ???

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 12:03:17PM -0400, Tom H wrote:

> But installing libc6:i386 and a few others allows firefox to work:

Meaning installing the :i386 versions of the libraries was (part of) the
solution, not the problem. Any bug report would have to go against a
part of the system that was part of the problem (not withstanding that
firefox was installed in a non-standard location and from a non-standard
repository). The only real candidates, given that the problem was mainly
regarding an insufficient error message about missing libraries, are ld
or the kernel. Anything further up than the linker in this scenario can
only say "something went wrong, but I don't know what" unless they
themselves are given more detailed information.

Well, okay, we need to start somewhere, and, while we suspect ld, we don't really know for sure. And we suspect that the actual fix may not end up being in ld.

So, what is the name of the package that is trying to load libc6:i386? That probably isn't where the bug is, but it seems to be the cause of the bug.

Well, I mean, it seems to be what exposes the bug.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.