Re: solved: `ls` shows file, `bash` says "No such file" ???

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:

summary: solution: install jessie package=libc6:i386 et al

Well, my understanding is that it's likely a temporary solution. And not a recommended one. (Think carefully about the about the recent fuss about the openssl vulnerability.)

You need to get after your IT support staff at your workplace. Trying to run secure traffic through FF3  or FF8 is irresponsible. I am not talking about problems with FF3 or FF8 picking up malware, which you'll think you can avoid because you'll only ever be going to your company's servers with this claptrap. I'm talking about the data can be observed, analysed, and quite possibly decrypted by a persistent attacker.

details:

[...]
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/05/msg00129.html [Mike Kupfer Fri, 02 May 2014 21:02:48 -0700]

I'd like to bug-report, except

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/05/msg00146.html [Sven Joachim Sat, 03 May 2014 07:38:28 +0200]
>>> [bash] can't do any better though, because the kernel just reports ENOENT
>>> when you try to run a program and its ELF interpreter [is] missing.

I'm the first to admit that I am, as a software developer, probably several orders of magnitude less than the linux kernel folks. That being said, in all my code I try to provide error messages that at best help the user actually solve the problem, and at least do not misrepresent the etiology. So if anyone has suggestions regarding how/where to put a bug that might result in a positive outcome, please lemme know.

thanks all! Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Well, you've actually pinned the problem pretty well. Who, or, rather, which tool should be responsible for grabbing the global error string at that point? My first guess would be ld, but I'm not sure that would be the place to start the bug report. Maybe ia32-libs or even libc6:i386.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.