Re: Wheezy VirtualBox guest 1920x1080 resolution

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, David Christensen wrote:

> On 04/30/2014 06:05 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Did Virtualbox's Guest Additions get installed?
>
> I previously STFW for Guest Additions but found conflicting posts.

I'm assuming you installed Virtualbox from the "official" Debian Repo,
and not from Oracle's Virtualbox Debian repo.

Usually, when you install Virtualbox from the Debian Repo, Guest
Additions get installed and configured to run in each Guest you create.
You don't have to do anything.

Here's a simple way to check if Guest Additions are installed and
working on a Guest.  With the Guest running, move the mouse cursor
over the Guest Window.  Is the cursor automatically captured without
clicking?  When you move the cursor off the Guest Window and onto the
Host, is it automatically released?  If both things happen, Additions
are running.

For Guest Additions to be installed from within a running Guest, if
they weren't installed initially, you must download the Guest Addition
ISO and "recognize" it with the Virtualbox's Virtual Media Manager.

> Searching Apt on the host, I see:
>
> 2014-04-30 19:17:08 dpchrist@i72600s ~
> $ apt-cache search virtualbox | grep guest
> virtualbox-guest-dkms - x86 virtualization solution - guest addition
> module source for dkms
> virtualbox-guest-source - x86 virtualization solution - guest
> addition module source
> virtualbox-guest-utils - x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest
> utilities
> virtualbox-guest-x11 - x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest
> utilities virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms - transitional package for
> virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-ose-guest-source - transitional
> package for virtualbox-guest-source
> virtualbox-ose-guest-utils - transitional package for
> virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 - transitional
> package for virtualbox-guest-x11

Either virtualbox-guest-utils or virtualbox-guest-x11 should be the
one.  You can also download virtualbox-guest-additions-iso instead, and
install the Additions from it.

> I don't know if virtualbox-guest-x11 is the right one, but it doesn't
> appear to be installed:
>
> 2014-04-30 19:17:19 dpchrist@i72600s ~
> $ dpkg-query --list virtualbox-guest-x11
> dpkg-query: no packages found matching virtualbox-guest-x11

I know Guest Additions are installed on my machine, but I installed
Virtualbox, et al, directly from Oracle using its installer, so
dpkg doesn't know any of it is there.  So, I can't check using dpkg or
apt.

> > If so, then, maybe, the virtual graphics card doesn't support
> > 1920x1080.Just a first guess.  Check how much memory you've
> > allotted to the
> virtual card.
>
> 32 MB

Should be plenty.  I have mine set to 64MB for an encrypted Debian
guest I use for testing; and 128MB for several Windows XP guests, which
I use specifically for Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw, and wanted a
little breathing room.